Baking Gingerbread Cookies with your Children
Now, after lighting the FIRST CANDLE on our Advents Wreath and it is official:
CHRISTMAS IS COMING.
Only 4 more weeks til Christmas!
My boys are so excited about EVERYTHING this time of the year brings:
- Lighting the candles on the Advents Wreath.
- Opening a door on their Advent Calendar each day
- Readings Christmas stories,
- Making decorations for the Christmas tree,
- Making our Christmas tree,
- And baking some Christmas cookies!
Last week we had a friend over for a play date and even though it was a very hot day, everyone got right into it.
- Rolling out the dough,
- Finding the right Cookie Shapes,
- Cutting the cookies out of the dough and placing them on the baking tray,
- and of course, the best thing of all: Eating the cookies!
I prepared the dough the evening before, so it could sit over night in the fridge.
Here is the recipe for our Gingerbread Cookies:
- 175 g soft butter
- 200 g brown sugar
- 1/2 cup marble syrup
- 3/4 tsp ginger (freshly grated or ground dried powder)
- 3/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 200 ml? semi beaten cream
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 700 g spelt flour
- Mix all ingredients well and knead dough for 5 minutes.
- Cover the dough and put it in the fridge over night.
- Roll out dough and cut cookies out as desired.
- The thicker the dough is the juicier and fresh the cookies will stay.
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Bake for 10 minutes
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
A Tip: If you feel like you don't want to make so many cookies at once, just split
the dough in half and put one half in the freezer and make a second lot just before Christmas.