Having turned the page within the seasons and slowly coming out of cold nights with lots of thick woolen layers and hot water bottles, it is a good idea to put some thoughts into the coming hot Australian summer nights.
We all know how challenging it can be to get a good night sleep as an adult during the hottest time of the year.
Being a newborn baby, extreme temperatures are even more challenging as your little bub is not able to self regulate yet.To avoid overheating our Elves have put together some summer sleeping tips to help your baby and toddler to have a restful night.
Choosing the right organic fabric for your baby’s night clothes:
Muslin: As the seasons change, it can be so difficult to know what your little one should be sleeping in.
Soft and breathable muslin is our top pick for a summer fabric, it allows ventilation, absorbs body moisture and keeps baby cool but lightly covered.
For hot nights and summer day sleeps, our organic muslin wraps & blankets are the perfect lightweight and breathable layer that make a lovely summer blanket and swaddling options as well as muslin bloomers and or top for dressing your baby light.
Organic cotton sleepwear: Even in the warmer months, it’s important to still have little one covered in at least one layer, especially as temperatures can vary throughout the night.
We often get asked if cotton will be too warm for summer months, but this is definitely not the case.
Organic cotton baby & toddler clothing ensures no chemicals or synthetics are used in the production of the garment, meaning that the fabric is in its most natural state, allowing for optimal comfort and breathability.
- Keep nightwear and organic baby bed clothes to a minimum.
- If you have an air-conditioner, make sure the room does not get too cold; setting the temperature to about 24 to 26 degrees Celsius is low enough and ensure a good sleeping climate.
- A tepid bath before bedtime: Whether it’s a day sleep or at night, running a tepid bath for baby to cool their body temperature down will help them calm, re-set and relax from a hot sticky day. They will also love the soothing sensation of the water.
- Bedroom ventilation: Opening up the windows to allow airflow through the room once the temperature has dropped in the evening, will really help to cool your baby’s bedroom down and allow some fresh summer air through.
- Keep your baby’s bedroom cool during the day by closing blinds or curtains. You can also use a fan to circulate the air in the room making sure the fan doesn’t point towards your baby.
- Heating Bags, filled with spelt, wheat or buckwheat are not only great for soothing upset tummies, ear aches and keep your baby warm during winter, they also make a great ‘cooling bag’ for hot summer nights. Just put them in the freezer during the day and they will help to cool your baby and child down, while snuggling up.
Sleep on natural fibres
We highly recommend using a natural mattress and mattress protector, rather than plastic or foam. Sleeping baby on natural fibers ensures that air can circulate through the mattress, while remaining insulating through the night, instead of trapping heat or creating moisture. Nothing beats the superiority of wool for absorbing body moisture and regulating body temperature, and our natural latex mattresses have ventilation holes throughout to create the same effect.
Our Elves hope these tips help your little ones have cool and restful sleeps on these hot summer days!